LAKE ELMO, Minn. – The University of Alabama women’s golf team will begin the 2021-22 season this week, competing at the ANNIKA Intercollegiate at the Royal Golf Club (par 72, 6,410 yards) in Lake Elmo, Minn., Sept. 13-15. It will mark the Crimson Tide’s fourth appearance at the esteemed tournament and its first since 2019-20.
The star-studded tournament field features 12 teams, including 11 teams that finished last season in the top 25 and seven teams that finished last season in the top 10, according to Golfstat. The Gophers will welcome No. 2 Duke, No. 4 South Carolina, No. 5 LSU, No. 6 Ole Miss, No. 7 Wake Forest, No. 8 Arizona State, No. 9 Texas, No. 12 Southern California, No. 13 Arizona, No. 18 UCLA and No. 25 Alabama to their annual tournament.
The teams will compete in a five-count-four, stroke-play format, with tee times running 8-9:30 a.m. CT off No. 1 and 8:05-9:35 a.m. CT off No. 10.
- Alabama’s lineup for the season opener includes Sarah Edwards, Polly Mack, Angelica Moresco, Benedetta Moresco and Emilie Øverås
- The lineup features a mix of four returners and one newcomer, including two super seniors, two juniors and one sophomore
- B. Moresco is coming off a stellar freshman campaign, where she earned 2021 All-Southeastern Conference First Team honors, SEC All-Freshman Team honors and SEC Freshman of the Year after posting a team-best 71.72 stroke average over 18 rounds last season
- The sophomore was selected as the 20th-best women’s golfer in Golf Channel’s preseason poll for the upcoming season
- B. Moresco and Mack both recorded top-five finishes in tournaments last season, while Mack was second on the team with a 73.59 stroke average over a team-high 27 rounds last season
- Øverås competed at the Norwegian National Match Play Championship in Sarpsborg, Norway, over the summer, capturing runner-up honors
- Edwards transferred to the Capstone from Florida Gulf Coast, where she spent her rookie season (2019-20) producing a 73.20 stroke average over 15 rounds
- The ANNIKA Intercollegiate is held annually at the Royal Golf Club in Lake Elmo, Minn.
- The first nine holes, known as the Queen’s Nine, were designed by Annika Sörenstam, and the last nine holes, known as the King’s Nine, were designed by the late Arnold Palmer
- It will mark the Crimson Tide’s fourth appearance at the ANNIKA Intercollegiate and its first since opening up the 2019-20 season at the tournament
- The Tide won the event to kick off the 2018-19 season, as then-No. 1 Alabama turned in a 11-under-par final round for a 28-under-par tournament total
- A. Moresco is the only current player who was a part of that winning team, finishing T29 at 1-over-par 217 as just a sophomore
- The field consists of 12 teams, 11 of which concluded last season ranked in the top 25, while seven of those teams ended last season ranked in the top 10, according to Golfstat
- The teams will compete in a 54-hole, stroke-play format
For all the latest information on the team, follow @AlabamaWGolf on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook. General athletic news can be found @UA_Athletics on Twitter and Instagram and Alabama Athletics on Facebook.
— to rolltide.com