Human Resource Services has issued an update on coronavirus testing, travel and quarantine. The message reads as follows:
Travel, Testing and Quarantine
We’re taking this opportunity to remind you about Governor Cuomo’s update last week on new guidelines allowing travelers from certain U.S. states and foreign countries to New York to “test out” of the mandatory 14-day quarantine.
If you are traveling from a state contiguous with NY (including NJ, CT, PA, VT and MA), you are exempt from the requirement and do not need to quarantine.
However, if you are traveling from any other state for more than 24 hours, or from a CDC Level 2 or Level 3 Health Notice country, here’s what you would need to do to avoid the quarantine:
- Obtain a test within three days of departure from that state or country.
- After you arrive in New York, quarantine for three days.
- On day four of your quarantine, obtain another COVID test:
- PCR testing must be conducted off campus in accordance with quarantine guidelines; find a list of NY State testing sites here.
- Employees designated as Essential should call the Health Information Line (HIL) at (631) 632-5000, Option 1, for guidance and direction on return to work quarantine requirements.
- If both tests come back negative, you may exit quarantine early upon receiving the second negative diagnostic test.
If you are traveling to another state for less than 24 hours, you do not need a test prior to your departure from the other state, and do not need to quarantine when you arrive in New York but must take a COVID diagnostic test four days after your arrival in New York.
For ALL travel, you must fill out the New York Traveler Health Form upon entering New York State.
For the most current and up-to-date information, all travelers should review and follow NYS COVID-19 travel advisory details, FAQs and updates, available on the New York State Department of Health website.
Faculty and Staff COVID-19 Testing before Thanksgiving
As you plan your calendar for your pooled testing appointments, SUNY strongly recommends getting a COVID-19 test within 10 days of leaving campus for Thanksgiving. For more information, please see the SUNY Testing Policy for Departing Campus in Fall 2020.
Our quick, free saliva swab testing is available in three locations and using our new COVID-19 Scheduler Tool, employees can select a time and location that works best for them.
To remain current with COVID-19 testing information, please visit the Employee Testing page on the Coming Back Safe and Strong website.
And finally remember …
Help Stop the Spread: Protect Yourself and Others
- Avoid public places, including while traveling, if possible.
- Wear a mask if you are:
- Within six feet of distance from other individuals.
- In a public or private transportation or for-hire vehicle.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially before you eat.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Cover your coughs and sneezes with a tissue and discard it in a closed container.
- Clean frequently touched surfaces and objects.
— to news.stonybrook.edu